With wedding season officially in full swing, I wanted to share how I stay organized while prepping for weddings. I’m sure we all have our own methods but lists are my method of choice… for almost everything in life! Here is the list I use to help while preparing my camera bag the day before the wedding. I have also included a few of the other things I bring along. I hope that as your wedding season is in full swing, and life gets crazy, this little quick guide can help you stay on top of organizing everything you need for your weddings.
I approach wedding day with 3 bags; a rolling camera bag, a bag for the car and a bag for my light stands – I am still working on a better solution for this one because everything that doesn’t really have a place sort of get tossed in here and it drives me crazy! Remember, this is just a guide, everything listed may not get used but it sure might come in handy if ever needed. Feel free to comment below if I am missing anything that you have found to be really handy. I love new ideas!
- Camera Body
- Backup Camera Body – I make sure my setting are exactly the same on both bodies
- Extra Batteries – both camera and rechargeable AA for Flash. I bring more batteries than I will ever need but it comes in handy if my 1nd shooter ever needs something. (I always charge all my batteries the day before the wedding so that I don’t have to worry about it on the wedding day)
- Battery Charger (just in case)
- Lenses – 70-200 2.8, 100 2.8, 85 1.2, 50 1.2, 35 1.4 – yes amazingly they all fit!
- Cleaning Spray + Cloth (it comes in handy if there is any kind of spot on the lens)
- Memory Cards (I make sure to format all my memory cards before the wedding day)
- Business Cards
- Cell Phone + Charger
- Wedding Day Timeline Copy + Pen (I jot down notes and check off formal shots so this is SO important for me to have)
- Emergency Kit (safety pins, bobby pins, band aids, a small sewing kit, sticky roller, new chapstick, hand sanitizer, super glue, etc.)
BAG FOR THE CAR
The below is a combo of what gets stuffed in my light stand bag and the car. Working through a better method for it all. I usually have a tote full of all the extras so it easy to grab if needed.
- Soft Box
- Shoot through umbrella
- Light Stands + Sand Bags
- Laptop + Charger
- Card Reader
- Portable Hard Drive
- Sweater or Light Coat, Extra Outfit + Shoes (you never know). I even bring my Hunter Rain Boots if the weather calls for rain or it has been raining the week prior.
- Nice Hanger + Command Hooks (wedding dresses always look better on a pretty hanger.)
- Bottles of Water
- Clear Umbrella (in case it rains)
I would love to see what’s on your list if you have one. If you don’t, try making one and see how it works for you. I am a firm believer in lists so this has really helped me stay on top of my game. I hope this helps you create a great resource for you pre wedding routine.
Such a good checklist!! I agree with this 100%! The photograph in this post is gorgeous too!!
I always leave my hunter rain boots in the car just in case!!
Great list! I just started bringing command hooks with me to hang the dress wherever I want. I don’t know why I didn’t start doing that forever ago!
I agree! Command hooks are a life saver sometimes!
Love this! Great ideas!
Excellent list Jen!
2 Contax 645 bodies
3 Zeizz lenses, 45mm, 80mm 140mm
6 film inserts in cases
1 film back
Contax 1N body
Contax flash unit
Canon 1V body
4 lenses, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm, 100mm & 135mm
Canon 580II Speedlight
1 Mamiya 645 body (backup to the backup)
3 maniya lenses, 45mm, 80mm, 150mm
4 film inserts in cases
FILM – tons of it. More than I’ll ever use but I’d hate being at a wedding and run out…
3 Sony video lights
3 Light stands
Extra outfit of clothes
Thermos of coffee
Nuts & chocolate
Oh and I always keep a pair of boots in the car but work in Toms.
Let the season begin!
Isabella, I need to toss a deodorant in my bag as well. That’s a good one and Video lights are on my “to buy” list for this week!
Yes, let the season begin!
Okay, that shot at the top with the crazy awesome tree is gorg. I realize that’s not the point of the post but I can’t not comment on that. Haha.
So many great things on this list! I really need to work on the backup clothes/shoes in the car just in case. There’ve been a few times where that would have been helpful!
Great checklist! I know I always make sure I go over everything before I walk out of the door. Sadly, unlike Lauren, I always forget my rain boots. *makes note to not forget them this weekend*
[…] another list (like I said I love lists!) with you all. If you remember last week, I posted another list here; a list I put together for everything that goes in my camera bags & car on wedding […]